The Montgomery County Department of Police and GROWS invite you to attend our presentation on:
Wandering Awareness and Prevention
Did you know?...
The following events were recorded by Montgomery County Police during the course of ONE evening from 4:30pm to 11:00pm:
- 78 year-old white female in Bethesda who was located at a friend’s house.
- 92 year-old African-American female in Silver Spring who was located after 3 1/2 hours of searching in a back yard, which she entered by breaking through the wooden privacy fence of the neighbor's and then through a second wooden privacy fence.
- 83 year-old African-American male in Silver Spring, who left in a vehicle and was located in the neighborhood by a Park Police officer.
- 61 year-old African-American male in Gaithersburg who had been located by fire/rescue and transported to Shady Grove Hospital prior to the victim being reported.
- 77 year-old African-American female in Gaithersburg who was struck by a vehicle, which occurred prior to family reporting her. This victim was not diagnosed but signs lead to believe she had early stages of dementia.
These 5 calls required the combined commitment of 38 officers to bring them all to a closure. One Silver Spring case had 27 officers assigned during the height of the search.
The Montgomery County Department of Police handle an average of 2-5 searches a week for those that have Autism/IDD, Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
Officer Laurie Reyes Laurie.firstname.lastname@example.org Officer Tara Bond Tara.Bond@montgomerycountymd.gov
YOU are not alone
For more information on wandering prevention, safety and awareness please contact the Montgomery County Department of Police Autism/IDD, Alzheimer’s, Dementia Outreach Unit. (240) 773-6525